Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Pass shooting

I was going to field hunt today, however when I got to the field and the wind was coming from the wrong direction. So I headed for home, on the drive I had an ide'er. I'll chill at the house for a while, then head down to the local frozen body of water for some pass shooting. Now once I got there I had determined that under no circumstances shall I shoot at flocks passing from behind me. The outcome would have the goose land on the ice and I would have no way to get it.

Yeah that lasted all about 2 flocks coming from behind me. The second flock flew by and one goose was in the way of the 3 1/2" BB I sent his way. Ok.....Ok so I sent 3-3 1/2" BB his way and he ate all but one, and kept flying. They were probably just inside of the effective range of my full choked steel shot choke tube. I knew I hit him at least twice so I kept an eye on in him. Disgusted at my goose flying away I reloaded when I looked back at him I saw him drop and skid on the ice to a dead stop.
Now the fun starts..... how do I get him?
I packed up and went back to the car. I got permission to park and walk to the waters edge. I stood on the ice and realized there is no way my skinny butt is going to get out to my prize. Within 3 minutes I had a plan, go to the house and get a fishin' pole and some weights and hooks.
When I got back to the ice I put my plan into action. After multiple casts, 5 hook ups, and 1 broken line, I was able to snag my goose and drag him over to the edge.

Now how's that for a story?
The only thing I have yet to figure out, did I need a hunting license, a fishing license or both?

No comments: