Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Last day duck hunt

My definition of addiction: Laying in a field waiting for some ducks or geese to cross your path, through snow,wind (13-20mph),temp drop (25-12 degree's), from 2 and a half hours before sunup to sundown.
That's how I spent the last day of duck season. 9 and a half hours of mostly watching clouds pass by. I did see alot of waterfowl flying in the distance. You see, I wasn't hunting the X but the closest field that I could get to the X. There was a pond a half a mile away that wasn't froze up and it has alot of ducks and geese on it.
Even though the day didn't have me shooting my limit, it was still a great day. You see the ducks that did decide to visit me worked awesome. Classic duck response, they would come right over but they would circle 4-5 times getting lower and lower on each pass until finally committing. The wind was blowing soo hard that it was hard getting them into position for the shot, they would be high one second and in range the next. As soon as you squeezed the trigger they were off and out of range. They just lifted up into the wind and poof, gone.
I had 3 flocks (12-15 birds) come over and work.
The first flock came over and I muffed the shot (that was only after 6 hrs in the field).
The second flock came over and wanted to drop on my right, when I sat up to take the shot I remembered that there was a road to the right, so I didn't squeeze the trigger.
The last flock to come over worked great and dropped right where I wanted them too. This was only after I moved my spread around to accommodate the new wind direction. After the smoke cleared 1 duck had fallen.
Yep all day for one duck, and he was beautiful.

No comments: