Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Third field shoot this year

With the SE wind today a field hunt was my best bet. So I got up this morning @ 5:15 am and threw the dekes and layout blind on the cargo carrier on the car and off I went. I got to the field and set out my meager spread of 2 dozen geese and 1 doz mallards. Laid back in the blind and waited. Around 8:30 I had a flock of geese come through and I peppered the closest one but didn't drop him. I watched him for as long as I could and he didn't drop so I figured he's ok. The next flock through was the one I was waiting for. They came over me just a talkin.' So I started talkin' back to 'em real sweet like. I let 'em get out 100 yrds and hit 'em hard, man they doubled over and hooked right to me. I couldn't have asked for a better working flock, they slid right in front of me, and I dropped my 2 geese. Limit of geese by 9:23, so I settled in for some mallards. While I was waiting for the mallards I was covered up in geese. I had 6 land 10 yrds from me, they milled around for at least 30 min. before joining a passing flock.
Here's the pic:


















Here's the blow up of the 6 geese




Even though you can only see three heads there's six out there.


The bad news is I only saw 4 mallards, of which I should've had at least one. I had a hen make 2 passes getting lower each pass, so I was going to give her one more pass. Well she never gave me the third pass, she just up and evaporated. Oh well, I had a great day and would've had some great video but my batteries died.

Well another great hunt until next time, be safe and get out there.

No comments: