Tuesday, January 5, 2010

First post of 2010

I slept in this morning, got up, ate and made it to the field by 7:30 am. It was kind of a freezing mist kinda morning. I knew I had some time, the geese should fly a little earlier than on a sunny day. It probably took me a half hour to an hour to put out my 44 decoy spread. Once I got the spread ready I settled in my blind and awaited my guests. I'm really not sure when the first flock passed by ( I didn't have my watch) but they didn't want to stop in. So I did what every field hunter does at some point and started hunting with my ears. I heard a honk so I opened my eyes and saw a flock out in front and passing right to left. I started in with the goose music, they weren't sure at first, but all of a sudden they started to swing into the flight path. They committed and were 60 yds out and 10 feet off the deck. At 25-30 yds out they were 5 feet off the deck and I couldn't take it anymore. In my head I heard, "Take 'em" so I did, 3 shots later my limit of 2 geese lay on the ground. So a half hour to an hour after that (10:45 am) I was on my way home to tell you 'bout my day.
Sorry about the pic but I forgot my camera at home. I wanted to take some pics in the field but twas not to be today. I was really warm when I got home so I changed into my house clothes.

No comments: