Thursday, January 28, 2010

Furries

Daytime coon calling
I went for a walk about yesterday and ended up with 3 coon. I did see 7 and had 1 drop back into the tree upon the shot (very sad). I hate losing,wounding,not using, anything I shoot or hook. Anyone who has hunted or fished with me knows that. I'll look for hours for a dove, but there was no getting this coon. I initially thought that the house he was in was open on the bottom. I have called this tree before, so when he came out the hole to his shoulders I let him have it. The sickening thing was he dropped inside the tree and I couldn't get him, short of a ladder, and a long hooked bar.
That was the low point of my day, the high points were the coons that worked for me. The first one I got I had to call to twice. I was set up on another tree and kinda watchin' two trees to my right. Well I looked over about 30 yrds and there was a coon lookin' at me. So I waited for him to go back into the tree and moved to take him. Well he didn't come back out, so I moved on knowing I would be back to call there. The next spot was the coon that fell back in, nuff said there. By the time I got back I set up on the tree the coon was in and started the caller. The sound had only been playing for maybe a minute when this coon comes tearing out lookin' for a fight. Unfortunately ( for him) he ran into a 30 grn 22 mag round.

The second coon was really not wanting to come out. He made it through 5-10 mins of kit in distress, the same with woodpecker/kit distress, and finally after 5 min of brawlin' bandits he came out lookin' for a fight. Bang flop


The last coon didn't pop out a tree I was watching. I had 4 trees in close proximity that I was watching. I would say that within 10 mins of playing the kit in distress I saw him running on the ground heading for one of the trees I was watching. Well he didn't make it instead he came home with me.
All in all I had a great day, did alot of walking, and got some more yote and fox spots. Not to mention the new coon spots I'll be hitting next year.

No comments: