Wednesday, January 13, 2010

All good things must come to an end

That's right I'm packin' up all my waterfowl gear 'til next year. I was on my last field hunt for the year yesterday. I knew it was going to be a long day when the clouds cleared off, and the sun started it's ascent to start the day. Needless to say the birds started flying around 2:30, and boy did they ever fly. The bad news was they did not want to fly to my field.
So I started playing with the qwackers. I survived 6 tornadoes and 4 of them actually touched down. I even saw a wood duck and a black duck in one of the tornadoes that came over me.
As a matter of fact I was having so much fun watching the ducks. I didn't see a goose that flew through over the top. Only noticed him after he was already past.
Finally the geese started loosening up from their flight path and one came in from behind me. I smashed him at 15 yrds. So with a poof of feathers, and a snow splash down, I had my first goose. I made a mental note that I would start pickin' up around 5:15. I didn't want to do too much pickin' up after dark. So when 5:00 rolled around I knew it was getting down to crunch time. 5:10 - I had a pair coming from my right to left, right down the runway. I thought to myself, "they're going to work", and they did. When they dropped their landing gear I dropped the trailing goose. I watched him go down after sending 2 shots his way. I jumped up and started out to him, he popped his head up. Ok, here's where it gets stupid, raise shotgun and fire, and again. Unbelievable missed again, so once again it's off to the races. I did do one smart thing this time I put my shotgun down before starting the footrace follies. Well I managed to catch my goose and dispatch him. When I got back to my gun I noticed the chamber was closed. I thought that's odd didn't it eject the spent round? Yeah you guessed it, I had another round in the chamber. I must have loaded up at the blind and just forgot about it. I didn't have to chase that dang goose around, I could've just tried to shoot him again. Well I did end up picking up in the dark anyway, but it's always easier when you have limit to carry out.
Last day limit
Took this pic while picking up. I probably had a thousand geese in the air with at least that many qwackers if not more.
Already lookin' forward to next year.
I would like to say thanks to all the landowners that allowed me to hunt their property this year.
Time for some furry critters.

No comments: