Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Got out today for a minute

Today was spose to be cloudy with a little sun and no rain. Since tomorrow is spose to be rainy I thought I should get out today. So I decided on a lake not far from the house so if it did get nasty I wouldn't be that far out. I went to Otter which is the gateway to the James chain. I thought I would start on Otter and just see how far I would get.
Well when I got to the landing the wind was howling which means alot of battery use and poor boat control all day. I launched anyway and actually started fishing right at the landing and after catching 3 or 4 bass I decided to hit the lake.
 Well I can't say I remember boating another fish... however I did boat a blue heron. Yes, I said a blue heron. I saw him standing on a dock and just as I casted he took off and flew right into my line. Since he couldn't stay in the air the only other place was on the water. They weren't built to swim so I caught up to him rather quickly. I grabbed him by the neck up by the head brought him aboard and got him tucked into the corner of the boat. Unfortunately he managed to get the hook into his right thigh, I got a pair of pliers and removed it. After I got the hook out and made sure he was free from the line I let him go. He flew twords the shore landing in the water just short, he seemed to be making out none the worse for ware. I on the other hand had to take a couple minutes to process what just happened.
There was no way he would've let me get a selfie with him
 So after the BH debackle I got back to fishing while keeping an eye on the approaching storm. When it started looking more like thunderstorms than clouds I got off the lake. So in closing I caught some bass, a blue heron and a couple rain drops and was on and off in 4 hours.

No comments: