Thursday, August 16, 2018

First

Erie's not that scary... yesterday I fished Lake Erie for the first time. It was pretty cloudy most of the day, however, that doesn't mean it was cool. In fact, it was down right hot, the breeze died off mid-morning and then it was just me sitting in a boat stinkin'.
 On the way to Erie, I stopped to get a set of regs and hit up the bait shop dude for info. I was going to fish the islands off Marblehead until he told me that they were catching down by Cedar Point so that's where I went.
 Since it was a difference of 10 minutes to me, I put in on the South side of Marblehead. I fished from sunup 'til around 6pm, it was a really fun trip. It was cool to troll a big lake for walleye with lighter gear. Since it was the first time fishing here I did have a little learning curve in the fact that I honestly believe I missed a couple fish just by not being able to tell if it was on or not. I wasn't fishing any weights or riggers other than one color of lead core on both reels. I hit my first walleye in 38 fow and had somewhere in the ballpark of 100' of line out.
Nice 17"er straight into the box, notice the color of the lure? For some reason, the walleye on Erie like pinks and purples so that's what I was draggin' all day.
My second walleye was a 16"er on a purple flicker shad in 41 fow. I did catch one more on a clown flicker shad that I couldn't stretch enough to make my minimum of 16"s so back he went.
I did catch some trash too.
This Dr. Suess lookin' fish is a freshwater drum or sheepshead and they gave me the best fight of the day. I caught and released 3 of these guys before I gave up trolling and started casting for the day.
I caught this channel cat while on the hunt for ..... well anything else.
 I did try to find some white bass, without any luck. They would've gone nicely with my 2 walleye, but that was not to be.
 So to wrap it up my first trip to Lake Erie was a success, everything worked and came home in the same shape as when it left. However, before I make that trip again I think I need to get a couple more lures. Then I will be expecting nothing but limits and bonus fish.
MMMmmm walleye.

No comments: