Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Years Eve and New Years Day

I got off work Monday a little early and raced home to get my binoculars so I could do some scouting. Much to my amazement I found a couple hundred geese on one of my fields so I knew where I was going to go New Years Eve. I called all my hunting buddies to see who wanted to go but no one else could make it. The next day would be all me, so I made sure all my gear was ready and off to bed I went. I got up @ 4am, ate, got to the field and set up by 7ish. Then comes the waiting. I had a couple flocks fly by but nothing wanted to play. I finally got my first shot at 2pm and was done and packed up by 3:45pm with my limit of geese.
I think I got some good video of this hunt, but am waiting to get our new computer before I drop it on the one I'm using now. When I get it ready I'll get it on here as soon as I can.
Since I was done before dark I wanted to do some scouting on the way home. I saw a couple hundred geese going over the same field I shot the Saturday before Christmas. So I got home and once again ran through my rolodex to find someone that wants to shoot some geese. I knew my buddy Brian was off so he was the first person I got a hold of.
We got out by 6am and was set up and ready by 7:30am which was 5 minutes past shooting light. Right around 8:30am the geese started moving. We had waves of geese coming to the field and they were far enough apart that we would shoot 2 out of the flock and wait for the next wave to shoot 2 more. The geese were flying good but they really didn't want to finish in the hole where I wanted them. We shot our limit by 10:30am and we were packed up and out of the field by 11:30.
Not bad for the first hunt of the new year.
Finally my goose numbers are getting a little bump.

No comments: