Thursday, January 30, 2014

The day before the last day of the season

Once again I headed for some open water, when I got there I had 100 or so geese take off. I hurriedly set up my 6 decoys, set up a path to get from the ice to the water, sat down and waited. The geese came back in singles and pairs, they gave one honk and landed so I didn't get any video. I did however get my limit of geese. I dropped 2 in the river and 1 flew across the river, directly behind me on the other side of the river.
So I waited 'til sunset picked up my gear, went back to the house dropped everything off. Got in the car drove back out to the other side of the river, walked in and found my third goose dead in the snow. It was a 1300 yard walk in the dark and knee deep snow but totally worth it when I found my goose.
Special thanks to Sarah for stepping outside in the cold to snap this pic.
Now it's just a couple days until the start of the late season- Feb. 1 to Feb.15- 5 a day.

No comments: