Tuesday, January 28, 2014

5 geese in 3 days

Last weeks hunting started with a Tuesday pass shoot. Since I was only going to be hunting for 3 and a half hours I didn't wear a heavy pair of boots or put on as many layers as I probably should have. After hour 2.5 I couldn't feel my left foot, and my fingertips were a little chilly. I did the usual walk around to stay warm but in only a matter of minutes my extremities were back to numb. I guess it had something to due with the extreme cold snap in the area. With the temps in the 9 degree range with the wind blowing at 13mph it got pretty chilly. The best part is I actually dropped a goose that I had to hit 3 times before he fell from the sky. I did make a shot shell change due to the ineffectiveness of my current rounds.
I call this one my frostbite goose because I couldn't feel my foot until I made it the 650 yards to the car.
I have since moved up to BBB hevi-metal I'll let'cha know how that works out.

Wednesday found me in a field hoping to get some action. I haven't been seeing any geese in my fields but I knew they were passing over this field to get to another field.
 I was done by noon.
I thought I had some really good video of this hunt but Jack Frost zapped my battery.
I could've loaded the truck up with all the geese I had trying to land.
















This goose just wouldn't leave, I already had limit and this guy fell in love with my decoys. He stayed there while I picked up and needed the last of my decoys.
















The real goose is just beyond the feeder goose.
Thursdays hunt was on a local river, I have permission to cross a buddy's property to get to it. I only brought a dozen decoys, but I really didn't need more than that. I set up at noon and had to wait until 5 to get some action. The weather this day was also a little extreme: the temps were in the 4 degree range with winds at 20 mph gusting to 30. I think I was a little hypothermic by the time the action started, I just didn't feel on top of my game which would explain this....... 

The geese were really grouped tight and I didn't want to hit more than 3 with one shot. I did want to get more than the one though.
It took me 45 minutes and any other chance I would've had at filling my limit but I finally caught up with that dead goose.
As you can see I have some storage issues.

No comments: