Thursday, January 9, 2014

Yesterday's walk

I would've called it a coyote hunt, but I just can't justify what I did as a hunt. I must admit I got the crap kicked out of me yesterday. The only way to see song dogs is by working harder than anyone else. By that I mean calling sunup til sundown, making as many sets as possible and walking further than you would think anyone else would.
The snow I had to work through made all that next to impossible. Yesterday I made 6 or 7 sets; that does not a good day make. It took 3X as long just to get to my spots, don't get me wrong, I love hunting in snow, just not 16" worth. In my opinion the best snow to call in is now officially 2-4 inches, any more than that and it gets really difficult.
Of all the items I have been able to keep a hold of from my childhood, my snowshoes became my favorite as of yesterday.
If I didn't have a set of snowshoes I would have been done by 10am.
If I would've driven my car I wouldn't have been able to put in one set. I went to Huntington and none of the parking lots were plowed, I drove the truck with that thought in mind and wow was I right. I was the first one out hunting since the storm, so I had to forge my own way. Some of my best spots I had to pass up because the snow either drifted or was plowed up too high. I did have a shovel with me but I really didn't want to get stuck and have to waste the time shoveling my way out.
I will probably try again next week since the weather between now and then is going to do a 180. Next week water will be the problem, not snow. Hopefully I'll have better luck.

No comments: