Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Super Lazy

 Yep believe it or not the only reason I didn't get a post in last week was I was being lazy. On top of that it wouldn't have been a very good post. 
Well here I'll let you be the judge.....
Last week I made my weekly pilgrimage to Erie in the hopes of adding another 6 walleye to the freezer stash. I FISHED ALL DAY from 6:30A- 7:30P and from 25' to 50' and only managed 1 short, 1 small cat and 1 keeper. The only good news was they all came on a dipsy and mini spoon that I just rigged up specifically for this time of year and depth. The bad news is I still have to rig up 2 reels with a 5 color of lead to get my other 2 lines deeper. The worse news is the reels I bought were too small and I had to order 2 more 1 size bigger, like I'm made of money.....
See bad post....
This week started the hunting season with dove opening on the first. Since I didn't get drawn I had to wait, and made a plan to go out with a buddy on Wednesday. So I scouted the fields up here on Tues. and boy where they bad, not many sunflowers and a whole lot of weeds. To top that off the birds were really scarce, so I made the executive decision to run to Huntington in the hopes their sunflowers fared better. 
Wow did they ever, the down side was they were still pretty green.
 This time of year they should be brown and dropping sunflowers but most of these were still green. So it was kinda a good news bad news thing. It just seemed like the birds either haven't shown up yet because of the crops, the weather, because of the shooting the last couple days, or some other factor I am not privy to. We saw less than a limit of birds and out of them, only 5 swung close enough for a shot, and of those 5 only 1 came home. 
Rough first outing, but we had as good of a time as you can have just wasting a day in a field. On a day that if it was 2 degrees warmer the field would've caught on fire. Shooting up 7 rounds apiece from noon til' 8:07 then picking up and driving the hour home with ONLY 1 BIRD TO SHOW FOR IT...😡
yep, pretty good day.👍😊
not sure what next week will bring would like to hit the dove fields again but I know I've got one more fishing trip in me before I put the boat away for the year.

No comments: