Thursday, August 24, 2023

It never looks as bad as it was

 Pictures are great for most things, but getting examples of how nautical the water was, is not one of those. I've taken many pictures of the conditions while I've been fishing just to give you an idea of how bumpy it really was. I have yet to get a pic that shows the turbulence of the water as I experienced it, rolling back and forth all day. 
This is a little something I saw on the opening troll....

 
 
This log would've ruined someone's day... it was bobbing up and down in the water. This is truly the only thing that scares me about fishing in The Great Lakes. There was a post a couple years ago about someone hitting a telephone pole and ripping off the lower unit of his motor. 
Remember kids there's more in the water that just fish.....
 
That being said, Monday was pretty bumpy all day, it didn't even lay down for a couple hours or so. I mostly blame the weather for the day I had. I couldn't hold a speed no matter which way I trolled, and that plays a big part in my success. 
OK let's back up a little.
I knew it was going to be kinda bad on Monday, but it was the forecasted best day for me to get out, so out I went. When I got on the lake it was already rolling with small 1's. So I got set up and made the long troll against the waves from Vermilion to just past the Beaver park Marina. This took me about 3.5 to 4 hours and yielded only a couple fish. I was very optimistic to turn around and troll with the wind. From past experiences the troll with the wind ends up being the way the walleye want to be fed. 
Well, not today...
I was able to make the return troll take 6 hours with all the turns I put in, along with the fact that I went past the launch in order to try and catch a couple more fish.
At the end of the day I had boated 2 goo's, 2 short walleye, a cat, and one keeper. 
I worked all day and only managed a handful of fish, but like I say, "you gotta have bad days to appreciate the good ones."
That being said I really hope next week is a good one. 😉

No comments: