Tuesday, August 1, 2023

Did some more prospecting

I gotta write this quick just in case I need to make a quick getaway. It seems the Vermilion Police have sent out a BOLO for me.... more at the end of this post. 
 I noticed that when the summer hits one of the Charter Captains (Juls) on the walleye forum I follow heads East. On her last post she put in out of Vermilion. So I messaged her for some advice about the usual info needed to catch fish, namely depth and location. She was very helpful in her answer so I decided to head over there yesterday and see if it was any good. 
To say the least I was impressed, the water was alot cleaner. What I mean is over by the islands this time of year you have to continually pull and clean your lures to keep the eel grass from fouling it. I didn't have that issue out of Vermilion which was really nice, the spiny water fleas were also not as bad. I'm pretty sure I'll be heading back there. Probably not as often as I would like with there being there is a 7$ put in fee, all the same it was a good day. The water was a little bumpy but not bad enough to keep me off it. My first troll had me almost all the way down to the next launch which is Lorain. The best way to get back was pull and run, so that's what I did along with the 2 fish from my first run. Once I got set back up and trolling it took me only a couple hours to put the rest of my limit in the box. 
Oh, I forgot to mention on my first run there was some scattered dark clouds that were moving through and I swear I saw a water spout form, die and reform a couple of times before the cloud passed. The spout was to my West headed my direction and I had no intention of pulling and running before it had passed. At least where I was I could've made it to Lorain rather quickly, or at least to shore which wasn't that far away.
Anyway after the cloud passed the skies were sunny again and when the wind switched it even died down a little.
Yeah I know I chopped my head off, the fish were sooo big I couldn't get everything in the pic because I was in a hurry. 
 I fished out of Vermilion and this pic was taken at Mazuriks which is where I wanted to end up but I had to vacate Vermilion in a hurry.
Which leads me to the rest of the story: Why is the Vermilion PD looking for me?
Well, let me explain.
Apparently when I was coming in from the lake motoring down the river. I was throwing a ripple of a wake, in a no wake zone. Some busy buddy was on his phone taking pics of me and my boat while telling the police all the info..... 
Yep I got reported by a "concerned citizen" for a wake violation. You may be asking yourself, well how does he know he was reported? The dock commander at the launch came over to talk to me and tell me he was there and overheard the conversation. He also said if the cops come looking he never saw me, in addition to that he wanted to know how I did.
So I'll probably stay out of Vermilion for at least a week and let the heat die down before showing my face in that town again.

No comments: