Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Epic failure

 I had a soon to be son in law of a buddy, who's property I have hunted for years join me on Monday for a little walleye fishing on Erie. He is from ND and comes to visit a couple times a year, and the weather was going to be good Monday so we left the house at 2:50 headed to Erie. 
That was the good news and that is pretty much where the good news ended. I asked on the way there where he would like to fish... a spot I can almost always catch a limit... or a place I've been prospecting but have the possibility of catching a decent fish. He chose the latter and I thought... not a great idea I'll go to the first spot he won't know and we'll still catch fish. I wasn't happy with his choice so I asked again, and again he chose the latter. I should've went with my gut because after 11 hours we had only boated 1 walleye, and he was short and had to go back. 
The trash fish kept us busy, mostly gaspergoo's, a cat and a small white bass. But the walleye just eluded me, and it wasn't for lack of trying. Many lure changes, direction changes, and depth changes nothing worked unless we wanted to catch goo's. At one point we had 4 rods in the boat after boating 4 goo's it was a literal goo-fest.We trolled all the way around Kelly Island looking for a couple walleye, trolling to the landing I finally hooked up with a keeper walleye. After he went into the box Justin threw in the towel.... didn't really matter I could see the launch when he started pulling rods. So we cleared the boat, I loaded it up and strapped it down, while Justin cleaned  our 1 walleye.... Dammit
He said he had a good time and we did catch alot of fish... when we got back to the house I gave him a limit I had in the freezer. At least the family can get a meal out of the deal.

No comments: