Wednesday, July 12, 2023

Couple firsts today.....

 Got up and out on time (3am) for the first time in... well, I can't even remember the last time that happened. As I was driving through town I started running down my checklist in my head and (first #1) remembered I forgot to throw my rods in the boat. So I turned around and headed back to the house to grab my rods. Stupid....
Freshstart... back on my way to Erie made it through town and to the landing by 6am. Got the boat prepped to launch and had to use the facilities, so I threw my tackle bag in the truck and took care of some needed business. Launched the boat and headed out to some of the same marks as 2 weeks ago. Got the kicker running and started setting rods. After I got the corner rod set I went after my long rod, put the inline sinker on it and looked for my leader which is in my bag and.... dammit (first #2) I left the tackle bag in the truck. 
I had to pull up my trolling gear and head the 4 miles back to the launch. 
Freshstart... so now I have rods and lures I think I'm ready to fish??
Run the 4 miles back out and start setting up again, this time I'm ready to fish.
I boxed 3-16's in a matter of minutes and felt confident that I was going to put a limit in the cooler so I decided to sort for some bigger fish. The next fish on was a 21" so he went in the box, troll on. After a couple run backs and the fiasco in the morning I started to wonder if I had enough gas to make it in. I turned the key and it looked like a quarter tank. I'm not exactly sure how far that would get me but it was lower than I felt comfortable with so I started trolling in. By this time I hadn't had a hit in a while and I was pouring through my tackle looking for the lure that will bring me home. I put an oldie but a goodie on, a rattling hot tot in UV blue and pink. It didn't take long before it got hit and came unbuttoned as soon as it hit the surface. So I put it back out again, and again it got hit this time he made it into the net and the box. One more time for one last fish, within minutes I had another fish on. He also made it to the net and the cooler. 3 of the biggest fish came on 2 of the smaller lures that I was running that day. 
Needless to say when I got home I ordered 7 more Hot tots.

No comments: