Thursday, July 29, 2021

Double Header

 What is it with those perch pullin' freaks???? 
I was 10 minutes from the landing and decided to drop some gas in the boat. When out of the stop and rob walks a dude with cut off shorts, sleeves cut off his shirt and summer teeth. The first words out of his mouth were, "you goin' fishin'?" and I thought to myself, nope just takin' my boat out for a drive. I was cordial and says yep, he says "the perch are hittin' by preston." I said oh, I don't fish for perch. He says, "what, that's the best eatin' fish there is." I said, "why would I want to catch a perch, when there's walleye to be had?" He said "well the walleye bite is pretty slow right now, and the perch are hot." I just kept pumpin' gas and he looks at my rig and says, "you trollin'?" I said yep, he says Ohhhh, well take care, and off he went. I mean really what is up with perchers, it's like perch are the only fish in the lake. I'll keep one if it's decent size but there's no way I'm going to run 2 hours to catch perch.
So after I got put in, I noticed the waves were almost as big as they were last week so I used the same game plan. Head NW far enough to get a good couple hour SE troll. Well, not only did that work it worked too well, I could've been done by 9:17am and I only got started at around 8. So I did the smart thing and started culling my catch only fish over 19" were going to be able to make the truck ride home. It took me a little longer to make limit but I finally did around noon. Funny thing is I threw back at least a limit and a a half, going for bigger fish. All I could keep thinking was, "the walleye bite is pretty slow." Good thing it wasn't hot or I would've been done when I dropped the boat in the water.
 Bonus perch and white bass.
The white bass went back, the perch did not. 
Here's a really quick video.
 
So I was done by noon got home by 3 and had to deal with the wasp infestation in the mud room again. I knew it was imminent but there was nothing really I could do until they bored through the dry wall in the ceiling. So, Tuesday I worked and mowed and killed more wasps. Wednesday I packed my small lake and musky gear and headed to a small lake 45 minutes from the house. I wasn't going to fish all day but I did go until 4pm. I didn't catch a musky but the bass I caught froggin' were huge.


 
These are the same fish








This guy only went 'bout 3 pounds.






Now this guy went 4 and a half
 
This was the fish that let me know there were smaller fish in the lake too.
All in all it was a couple of awesome days fishing, can't wait for next week.

No comments: