Thursday, July 23, 2020

Well... it couldn't last forever

Just when I thought I had it figured out, Erie threw me a curve this week. The day started out a little bumpy and near blackout due to clouds. In hindsight the weird thing is in the first 10 minutes I had my first fish in the cooler, so I thought it was going to be business as usual. However, it took me 10 hours to put my second and third fish in the box, of course, that was after the sun had made an appearance. I figured out in a hurry Erie is much like Lake Michigan for me, I have a hard time catching on either one when it is cloudy out. It should've been easier, 'eyes like it better when it's a little darker, but these guys apparently didn't get the memo. All that being said I will say that it's not like I didn't stretch a line all day. I hooked up and released at least 5 shorts and one white bass. I also had 3 LDR's (long-distance releases) and one at boat side. Which brought me to the realization that I need to start bringing my long net again, especially when I'm by myself. The fish I lost boat side was barely hooked and I was trying to figure out how to get him in the boat, just swing him or grab the ne... he gone.
 Considering I didn't have all day to spend on the water (I wanted to work on Wed) I had to start trolling in around 3 pm. So with 3 in the box, I was able to pick up 2 more before I had to pull lines and head to the house.
With over 12 hours on the water, I definitely washed my fair share of lures...
most of them went fishless, however, some caught multiples
 It's weird how some colors and brands are super hot one day and then don't catch a fish the next. Like the lure in the lower left was so hot one day I had one on all 3 poles, same with the husky jerk right above it. Since then they barely catch a fish, same goes for the white and redhead bandit. One day it slayed them on my back corner rod and the next I couldn't buy a bite on it. The clouds definitely threw me for a loop this week, not sure what they wanted but given enough time I should be able to dial it in.
Yep, one short this week I did have my opportunities though, it should've been a full board. Well, that's ok I guess, sometimes you have to leave a couple for seed.

No comments: