Thursday, October 10, 2019

Long hard season

Well, yesterday morning saw the end of another hard deer season. I didn't hunt last week because of the heatwave we were in. This week was the week, Monday however was not, I just couldn't make it out so I got all my running done. Tuesday found me sitting in my deer stand in the magical 5 acres, watching a yearling doe browse around, lose interest and finally just wander off. Wednesday I was sitting in the same stand at sunrise and there was a distinct sense of success in the air. It had everything to do with the 6 deer that wandered into my woods from the beans just a little after sunrise. There were 2- 2-year-old bucks with maybe 8 points between the two of them. There were 2 yearlings, one 2-year-old and one monster doe. Needless to say, I was going to let them all walk except for the big doe, she was so big I started shaking. Well, she must have realized what I had on my mind and wandered off to the North. Meanwhile, I was watching one of the bucks and a yearling browsing and laying down 60 yards in front of me. The other yearling and the 2-year-old doe were hanging out to my right 50 yards out. The other buck meandered up behind me when I lost sight of him. After what I can only guess to be 30 minutes, a buck bolts down the hill on my right, I try to grunt stop him with no luck. The next option is to try a shot, so I loose the arrow, it looked like a clean miss. But this buck turned and started back toward me, all the while I was cocking my crossbow and nocking a fresh bolt. When I was able to get a clear shot, I loosed another bolt, this one found it's mark. The buck reeled over backward down the hill flipping head over ass 2 times before I lost sight of him. After a couple minutes to settle down, collect myself and police my gear I got down and made my way to the truck. I put up my fun gear and grabbed my work gear and headed back to claim my prize.
He had 9 points and dressed out at 165 pounds
Come to find out, the first shot actually hit him in the rear. He made the wrong choice to turn around and find out what had bitten him. In his last-ditch effort to cause me pain, he was able to destroy both of my bolts, one of my nocturnal nocks and broke off and lost a brand new rage broadhead😡. But he did get to ride in my truck.😄 : ) 😄

No comments: