Thursday, July 25, 2019

Lake Erie limits

Cliff let me know last week that he would be up to going fishing this week, so when we were making plans to go I asked him where he wanted to go to. He was up for pretty much anything so I told him he had 3 choices:
1. an area lake for bass
2. a lake that we might catch 1 or 2 good fish- Lake Michigan- kinda where I wanted to go.
3. a lake that we have the definite possibility of catching close to limit or limit of keepable fish.
Well, he chose the 3rd possibility so I told him to be at the house by 4 am and we would head out to Lake Erie for some walleye.
I checked the usual webcams and weather sites to make sure we would have a good day. According to everything, I could determine it should have been almost flat calm and gorgeous. That's not really how it played out, we got to the landing the wind was out of the Northwest and there were 2-3 foot rollers hitting the break wall with white caps as far as the eye could see. So we sat at the launch for over an hour contemplating our next course of action. We agreed to give it until 9 and if it doesn't change we would head back to IN and hit an area lake.
Well, 9 came around so we headed out, but before we left, we decided to check out a different launch to see if it would be any better to get out there. I knew it would be easier to get out, but we still would have to cross the main lake to hide behind Kelly's island, which was our plan from the 1st launch. Long story short we did put in at the second launch and when we hit the main lake motored slowly to Kelly's to get out of the wind and be able to fish.
Once we got to where I could get set up we set up and started the troll, almost immediately we hooked up with a really nice walleye. We chipped away at our limit all day with only 3-4 missed fish, 4 gaspergoo's (sheepshead)
and 4-5 shorts that we threw back. As the day wore on the lake laid down and it really turned nice.
 However, with the lack of wind the black flies were able to find us better, they didn't get bad enough to turn on the thermacell but they were definitely around.
All in all, we had a really good day, we caught limits, nothing broke or got lost and we made it home safe.
The bigger fish here went 23 inches.

I know, I know I really need to make a brag board made for the boat. I'll probably get to it in Sept. when I put the carpet and linoleum in the boat.

No comments: