Thursday, January 17, 2019

2 hour drive, 3 hour drive, score

I scouted FW after work on Sunday, I didn't find a field but the river was open. With nowhere else to go I hooked up the duck boat Monday morning and headed for the river. When I got there this is what I saw...
 No hunting here today, turn around and go home. Scouted again Monday night and didn't find any geese so decided to go coyote hunting on Tues. Drove down to Huntington Tues. to do some coyote hunting, that really just turned into a walk with gear in the snow. nuff said there.
On the way home Tues. I scouted my fields and low and behold I had geese on a field.
I called the gang to get some more guns, everyone but my minion was busy. We got to the field before sunrise and got set up. It turned out to be a really nice day, temps were decent and the birds flew all day. We shot a couple birds early...
 including this one...
at least a 15-yard crash and burn

 then this happened....

 

In my defense here's the background: I was landing the close flock to try and get the further flocks, that didn't work. When the geese on the ground started taking off, I gave the call to take 'em. My buddy had a no-shoot zone to the right, that's why he didn't shoot. After all those geese we I only got one.

After kicking myself for the rest of the day, we stayed and finally ended up filling our limits.
Finally got on some geese this week, always happy to put some meat in the freezer. Monday it looks like I'll be doing some coyote hunting then hopefully some more goose....

guess what I've been thinking about....
Fishing season is only a short 2 months away.

No comments: