Friday, November 25, 2011

Mon afternoon-Fri

That's how long I was off this week and I only hunted 2 of them. Mon I worked until noon so I took the rest of the day off to recoup my back I did the same on Tues. Now Tues I did go out scouting to find out where I was going to hunt on Wed. I found a field that had ducks and geese on it, that was the good news. The bad news was I didn't have permission to hunt it, so I ran home and looked up who owned it. I ran back out and secured permission to hunt the next day.
I woke up at 1:30 a.m. not because of the alarm, but I woke up cause I was dreaming of the flocks of ducks and geese we were going to have coming into the field. I got up and went downstairs and wasted the time until I could start getting ready to go. Well I met up with Weed and we went out to the field got set up just in time and settled in waiting for the flights to start.
Well long story short we had 3 ducks and 4 geese fly by, we got blanked. We didn't even get to fire a shot, we did however get some much needed sleep after 10 a.m. or so.
Well the next day was of course Thanksgiving so I decided not to go out, I figured everyone would be out. I did go out and check my fields to see which fields were being used.
Guess what I saw ...... yep, the field we hunted the day before was holding about 40 geese and 30 ducks IN THE EXACT SPOT WE WERE SET UP.
All I could do was laugh and drive on with the knowledge that I will smack 'em there this year.
So I spent the rest of the day at home with the wife, cooking the Jake I shot this spring. We had a great day together and the Turkey turned out pretty good too.
I will mention that out of all the Turkey's I've shot, the Jake's have been the toughest. So if you get a chance, try to shoot the Tom's, I don't know why they are better but they are.
Well that just leaves today, I went out this morning to hunt some water and after putting up with the 15-20 mph gusts I finally put a duck down. I saw some geese but they were quite a ways away and I really didn't have a chance of getting them to come in.
Now about the duck I shot, it was the first shoveler that I've ever got. I had seen them on TV but never shot one until today. She was a really cool looking duck, and to my surprise she was only about as big as a wood duck.
I thought they were bigger.
Well nuff said here's the pic.
 (no band)

No comments: