Thursday, November 17, 2011

Best day of the week and I'm sitting at home.....

I only have one excuse- I torqued my back.
I thought it might be the way I sit in my duck boat, but I won't know until it gets better and I hunt out of my boat. Anyway I took the day off to try and recoup before I go into work.
So I went out on Tues. it was a pretty warm day and the fog took forever to get off the water, when it finally did the ducks started flying some. The problem now is that there was little to no wind. So I went out to employ some wave makers, on the way back to the boat I heard a quack. I looked up and saw a couple ducks circling, I gave a quiet quack and that's all it took, I had 'em. Just before they touched down I jumped up and gave 3 salutes.
Since I had all three misses out of my gun I figured the next duck was really in trouble. Unfortunately that next duck never showed up.
Wed- Got out in time, set up and was ready to do some shooting. I have been seeing alot of ducks but they just haven't been wanting to play. I did have 2 Suzie's drop in my dekes from the up wind side landing with the wind. Normally I would've shot but there were houses in that direction so I let them pass. After watching  the morning flight pass me by, I finally had a drake that wanted to work. I called, he flew by, I did some panic calling, and lost him over the trees. I gave up on him, when from out of nowhere in he dropped. When he cleared my dekes I stood up and shot, it only took one, down he came. I had a couple others let me warm my barrel but finally dropped a Suzie to end my day.

PSA- Always use your safety chains.
I always load my boat by standing on the end of the trailer and pulling the boat onto the trailer. This time was no different, except the tongue popped off the hitch and left me standing on the end of the trailer holding on to the rope of the boat wondering what happened. So I tightened the little nut on the bottom of the hitch in hopes of keeping the trailer on the truck next time.


Next week goose season comes back and deer season ends.
Field hunters rejoice

No comments: