Wednesday, January 4, 2023

New Years resolution

 My New Years resolution is to only hunt deer for the first weeks before waterfowl opens. Then switch to duck and goose until Halloween week, then back to deer. 
Whew, hope that works out for me.
With only Monday and Tuesday left for late season duck I got a call from a buddy that he had water and geese in his field. I know that there are also usually ducks in and around this property. So I decided to give it a go... blind, meaning I didn't scout it but am 85% assured success. The unaccounted for factor was the weather, which was supposed to be rain, warm temps and alot of fog. I didn't think the waterfowl would fly til later so I took my time getting to the field. When I got there I bumped 4 ducks off the flooded field. While I was deciding where to set up I had the entire mob of geese do a fly over to assure me that I failed. I set up anyway and waited in vain for the near dark flight that never came. Lesson learned, pack up and try again in the morning?
The morning came with torrential downpours that looked like might let up by 7ish. With it being the last day for duck, against my better judgement I started the truck and headed south. I was mildly surprised when the rain stopped half way to my spot and was merely misting the rest of the way. After turning off of the paved road and onto the entrance of the small field I dropped the truck into 4 wheel drive. I only made it 15 yards into the field before my truck was stopped, tires spinning but not making any headway.
OK, I thought to myself I'll worry about getting out later, now it's time to get set up. So 2 trips out to the field and I was ready to get ready. After getting the dekes set and the blind brushed in it.... started to rain again. CRAP, I wore my rain jacket but it really doesn't keep much water out, I hate hunting in the rain.😡
The ducks came around 8:30 but wouldn't commit for a shot, they were picking me out. So I begrudgingly moved my blind to try to blend a little better. The bad thing was the ducks were done moving but the geese were just starting. I had a flock coming from behind me from the left, I called and they flew past me hooked around towards me and did it right. I however had forgotten how to shoot and barely dropped one out of the 6. As they were flying off I watched one get lower and lower and finally go into a death glide. I didn't see him go down but I was pretty sure he would be waiting for me later.
Around noon the fog started rolling in pretty thick again.... when I heard a honk. Oh boy, finally some action or at least the possibility of some. I gave a couple honks and this goose appeared out of the fog in a B line for my spread, wings locked landing gear down. When I thought he was close enough I shot, and again, and the last one in the hopes of bringing home another goose. The last one was the one, the goose went down a way's away in the field but at least I will have my second goose in hand. After a short foot pursuit, I didn't even have to run, I was able to fire off one more to tack him down. I was only going to stay until 1pm just in case I had to call my buddy to help get me unstuck. The way I was figuring it I had 3 choices:
1. get help
2. wait for the freeze on Thursday
3. maybe just back out.
So after a miserable day in the rain, with no ducks to show for it, and probably getting the truck stuck bad enough I might need a tractor, I had 2 geese with a possible third.
Hmmm not bad.
Well, I got packed up and brought all my gear back to the truck and tried to go forward. I thought with alot of the weight out of the trailer I might be able to move. Nope.... well lets give #3 a try. 
Yep, that's the ticket.
Why does every field in IN turn to snot with some rain
  I didn't like the idea of backing out because of the dip before getting back on the road, I thought it would be possible to get the trailer stuck and then I would need a tractor. But all's well I'm obviously home and so is my truck and trailer. 
 Now, where to next week?
 
Whoa, wait a minute how 'bout that third goose right???
I got him. 😁

1 comment:

Big Neff said...

You should have a half Chep pallet in your truck/trailer for if you get stuck again. Happy for you getting that 3rd goose. I'll remind you of your resolution late summer.