Thursday, December 29, 2022

Give it another couple minutes.....

 Monday was the late season duck opener, after work on Sunday I headed South to try and find some ducks. I waited 'til sunset and found nothing, if I was going to hunt I would have to put up a Hail Mary. I knew just the property to try, sight unseen. So, I got out well before sunrise on Monday which was suppose to be a rather dreary, dark, cold and snowy day. Fortunately for me all that came to fruition, unfortunately the geese and ducks just didn't see the need to move that much. I had to wait half the day before I heard my first goose, and they were close coming in from behind me. I didn't move, I didn't call I just waited for them to come from my left and give me a shot. They finally started crossing into my view and when they were easy pickins I sat up and dropped 3. I gotta tell ya that's the best way to get woken up, and now with geese on the ground I felt the day was a success.
I stayed out alllll day and instead of waiting until 5:17, I decided to pack it in at 5 so I can get my pics and police my area.
My day would end without a limit or a duck.
Or did it.... while I was taking this pic some geese started to fly and I had a flock doing it right... 
So I did what anyone would do, I checked the time and shot 2 more for limit. Still no ducks but a great way to end a day.
After I got home and got everything put away and the geese cleaned and had something to eat I finally got to bed at 9:43 only to get up at 4am to try my river spot.
My buddy has allowed another hunter and his kid to hunt so this spot is no longer all mine. That being said they were in there when I was in a field on Monday. My first thought was, "well this could be really good or really bad". When I finished setting up and the first half dozen ducks flew over I had high hopes. I was able to pick and choose my ducks I shot 2 drakes then took the next pair a hen and a drake. The first goose I shot was passing just over the tree tops. The next 2 were doing it right and wanted to land right in front of me... turns out that's what they did, just not the way they intended.
Since I had my limit of ducks and 3 geese I decided to cut out early (3:30) and go scout for Wednesday.
 Quite the haul if I do say so mys...HONK
 
Oh no I di on't.....
That goose almost landed on my camera, I think I'm just going to leave my camera set up from now on.
 
The reason this is in so late is because I hunted again today down at the river. It wasn't as good as Tuesday but I didn't leave empty handed.
Funny thing was I was working a goose when this guy just dropped out of nowhere and landed in the decoys. 
Super good week, don't expect much for next week, today made it up to 53 degrees. With those temps the geese can hang out an eat grass, duck closes on Tues. so hopefully I can manage to knock a couple more down. 😁
 
I got geese flying by right now.

No comments: