Thursday, December 22, 2022

Solo Mission

 Yesterday I gave my 2 accomplices enough knowledge to be able to go goose hunting. As it turns out I was the only one in the field, no worries since I got my wheeler I don't dread going by myself. I was getting set up as the sky's lightened, not really early but not really late. I wasn't sure how many geese were in the area but at least I knew there were some. So I got the decoys set and my blind brushed in and laid down to wait on the geese. With the East wind the sounds of the goose chatter was an all day thing. So every time they sounded like they were going to fly I got ready, only to be disappointed. I knew they weren't going to sit all day with the cloud cover but I also knew it wasn't going to be all right in the morning with the mild temps. Well they finally started to get out and try to get some feed, before the oncoming monster storm. I had a 5 pack come in and do it almost right... well right enough to drop 1 and salute another, that didn't fall. On the last shot I heard what no waterfowler wants to hear.... shot bouncing off a shed roof. The neighbor yelled, "Hey", I yelled back "Sorry", and proceeded to walk over to him, some 230 yards by google earth. After smoothing it over with the neighbor who is a country boy and understood, and watching 2 geese fly in to my spread while we were talking, I headed back to try and fill a limit. First thing I did when I got back was rearrange the spread to avoid shooting the neighbor again 3 1/2 BB's go a long way.
The next flock I saw was way out and I started flagging, it was a flock of 25 or so geese and they were pretty high. As they got closer I put the flag down and started talking to them, they responded by starting to drop in altitude. I kept talking but they peeled off and headed back the way they came, so I got on the flag again. After some persuasive flagging up and out of my blind they started to come back. I got back in my blind and started talking to them, they started dropping and circling after the 5th circle the were convinced everything was OK and dropped in, I got 2 of them. So now I was at 3 with only 2 more for a limit. That's when the duck's showed up, they were alot of fun to watch and when 20 of them dropped in my spread I just took pic after pic and even some video which I can't find to download from my phone.
And No it's not duck season... that opens Monday after Christmas. Oh Yeah... Merry Christmas to you.
 
So with only 2 left I thought that would be a slam dunk all I needed was one flock to work and boom, all done. Well that flock took it's time I wasn't worried about them flying, just when, was my concern. I finally had a flock of 7 coming in a little far but still doable. I hit the first one and he went down and missed the next 2 shots ๐Ÿ˜ฒ. Now we're getting into crunch time I was going to pack it in at 5 even though sunset was at 5:15. Well, I couldn't wait that long because I missed a shot on the next flock that would surely be my last before quitting time. 
So in defeat I started to collect my gear I unload my gun put it in the case turned to start taking my blind down and I hear "honk". I am outside my blind, on my knee's, checking my phone for the time, taking my gun out, opening my shell bag, (the goose lands) and loaded my gun, stood up, moved to my left (so I don't shoot the neighbor again) and shot that goose ๐Ÿ˜ฎ๐Ÿ˜ฒ๐Ÿ˜ฎ     ๐Ÿ˜ƒ LIMIT ๐Ÿ˜ƒ. 
All done all that was left was pics and packing up. A day well spent. ๐Ÿ˜

No comments: