Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Not every hunt...

 Can be great...
I mean it would be nice but if you didn't have any bad poor hunts, you would have nothing to compare the good/great ones to.
Well, this week was a poor hunt, Jake and I went back to the field that I almost got stuck in last week. The land owner had relayed to me that there were MANY geese in the field on Sat. I scouted in Fort Wayne Monday night and didn't see a whole lot of geese so I thought, "what the heck?"
Tuesday had the wintry mix in town along with heavy clouds, and that sounded perfect. I got there early and ran decoys to the spot, and started setting up, which is when I realized my left wader boot was leaking. I mean I knew the crotch leaked (these aren't my good waders) but forgot about the boot. So after I put the floaters out I had to wring out my soaking wet sock and put my other boots on.
That was fun...
 When Jake got to where I parked I ran up with the wheeler and got him and his gear.  
I'm the kinda guy that gets set up and lays down in the blind and maybe does a little hunting with my ears. Jake is not that guy, he likes to stand most of the time during the slow times. That's how we got busted by the loner that came in silent. He was headed right for our spread when he finally honked, which sent us both diving for our blinds. After trying to get him back until he was out of sight, we kinda stayed hunkered down. 
Quite a while after that goose we finally had a pair coming in from the West. They were low and headed right for the spread. With some reassuring calling they were on a B-line for the spread until the last 50 yards when they kinda veered off to the South, making our shots 35-40 yards. Enough with the excuses we both missed all 3 shots apiece 😡, they were killable we just missed. Anyway Jake took off around 11 and I decided to stay a couple more hours. 2pm I pulled the plug, I was running the gear back when the wheeler started spitting and sputtering, I knew I was low on gas. So I turned it to reserve and hoped I had enough gas to get all the gear back into the trailer. I was mildly amused when I realized I was going to make it and not have to push the wheeler.
All in all it was a day not great but nothing broke either. 💩
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it rained 3/4's of the day and I didn't bring my rain gear. 
Yes, gotta love the suffering.
Still better than working.

No comments: