Thursday, January 19, 2023

All I could do was shake my head....

 With only 20 to 30 geese hitting my fields I opted to go to the river, since it was open, because it has been so damn hot....😡 
Anyway I got my gear together and headed South for the day. When I got to the river to my dismay I was not the only one hunting. And from the lights bobbing in the distance they were setting up on the spot I planned on going to.😡
Good thing this wasn't the first time I've been on this river. I knew of a spot a little further North that I've done good before so I launched the boat and headed upstream. 
This was my first spot.
Daylight came and went without anyone firing a shot, and I'm happy to say a little before 10 I was the first. I had a goose come in quiet from the North, I saw him right before he landed, one shot one kill.
Well, a half hour after that I heard the other guys shoot 2 times, I was kinda hoping they had left cause I still wanted to be where they were. As I was waiting I had a flock of 15 or so come around 3 x's wanting to land but not committing and what was worse not even close enough for a shot.
When noon rolled around I figured the other guys had given up, so I packed up the 12 decoys I had out and headed downstream. When I got to the point I saw the guys at the launch packing it in for the day, so I threw out my whole spread. By the way, I forgot to mention that when I was moving I was only 3 minutes downstream when a pair of geese came in and I can only assume would've worked.
This is my second spot
 Anyway so here I am on the first point with nothing in front of me but water. I hung out the rest of the day and only saw 5 geese until I saw a pair way off in the distance over the dam. I called a little bit not a whole lot because they weren't that talkative either. They ended up passing me on the left only to swing around me and come back a couple minutes later on my right. I was ready to drop them when they landed directly to my right.... good news right? 
Nope, I have houses not 75 yards off to my right, so I thought if I waited they would swim out to decoys and I could water swat 'em. 
Everything worked as planned until it was time to drop the hammer. I noticed I was almost hyper-ventilating and my heart was pounding out of my chest, ie adrenaline was getting the best of me. By the time they were clear of the houses I jumped up shot 3 times, sat down and shook my head in disgust. Yep I totally whiffed on the easiest 2 birds I've had shots at all year. 
Oh well, there's always next week right?
Here's the one that didn't get away.


No comments: