Thursday, December 19, 2019

Geese this week, duck opens next week

Monday and Tuesday I made the pilgrimage to town, 4 hours of driving to shoot 6 geese. And I'll do it all again next week, as our duck season opens for the 1 week Christmas special.
Monday I had my second hunt at a newly acquired field, and let me tell you even though the geese weren't in there the prior couple days they definitely showed up for Monday.
I will now refer you to the video:

After the last flock left I was just about to get up and start picking up, when I had another flock come in. So I snuggled in for a well-deserved nap, while that flock fed and left. After they were gone I cleaned up and headed North.
Tuesday I hunted the same area just a couple fields over on property my buddy Thom used to own. Since the corn was planted really close to Thom's woods I just threw out my decoys and sat in a chair and hunted from the edge of the woods. As I was setting up I was pretty excited because of the geese in the area. Once it was all set up and I got my "blind" set I looked up and realized that I was going to lose my cloud cover. Which in and of itself wasn't a bad thing, but with how cold it was it just meant the geese would sit all day before flying out to feed just before sunset. And so the day went something like this, nap, wake up, stretch, nap, wake up look for geese, nap and then finally the horde decided to make it's way to me. I hit the record button on the remote but apparently, it didn't take. That sucked because the show that took place until dark was amazing.
I shot my limit and picked up my gear just like I put it out... in the dark.
Wednesday my minion and I shot over to Mongo and did a couple one-man drives to try and get him a deer. We each saw deer but neither of us was able to get a shot at them. So with that, I ended my deer season for the year. Sean might still continue at the magic 5 until he gets worn out or the season ends, in Jan.
Either way, I'll stay on call for him if he manages to drop a deer. He has actually passed on many small deer this year already, pretty proud of him to not just drop a deer to drop a deer. Anyway got my geese, guns, and gear cleaned up today and looking forward to next week already.
Yay ducks.

No comments: