Thursday, December 12, 2019

Free at last, Free at last....

Oh thank God almighty I am free at last....
Monday was a rainout day and I ended up in town all day.
I started the day on the hunt for geese and found them out West of town. After I got permission I was off to Ft Wayne Nissan to put the truck in the shop for its 20000-mile check-up. While I waited I had the shuttle driver run me over to Gander, which is closing in Fort Wayne.... again. Then I went over to Menards to pick up a blind for a couple buddies. A quick stop at the dentist to get my crown stuck in my mouth. After I was done there I went to Discount Tire for a lifetime rotate/balance and road hazard. By the time they got done, I was on my way home just like when I left the house, in the dark.
When I got home I gave Jake a call to see what was going on in the morning and if he had birds. He said he did and that he would call back after his house settled down. Well, apparently his house never settled down, I hadn't received a call by Tuesday morning either. So I waited like a puppy in the truck and when it was an hour out from sunrise I made the decision to go deer hunting. When I picked up my phone I saw Jake had left me a message at 10 pm Mon. He said he wouldn't be able to hunt this week or next.... oh, well better late than never I guess. Anyway, I headed over to the magic 5 to try my luck during muzzleloading season. The morning was a bust so I left out around 10 am to get my running done for the week. After finding out my minion wouldn't be going for the evening hunt I shot over in his stead. I had to wait until 5pm before I had 3 does come down the deer trail from my left. She saw me as soon as I saw her, I didn't move but she knew I was there. Since she was the biggest and apparently the smartest I decided she was going to be the one to ride in the truck. As soon as the other does cleared and I had a clear shot I cocked the muzzleloader and squeezed the trigger. She took off like a bolt my first thought was, "did I miss"? I wasn't until I got down and started looking for blood that I knew I had doe down. So I went back to the truck, shed some clothes and grabbed my work bag and headed out to field dress and drag her to the truck. Since it was dark by the time I started I didn't waste time with the hero pic but got this one when I got home.
My processor was closed by the time I got there, so with a low of 15 and a high Wednesday of 25 I figured she would be ok. The next morning I packed my goose gear in the truck and off goose hunting I went. I had one flock hand me my ass in the morning, unfortunately that was the only flock to fly (my way). I really wanted to stay but I had to go drop my deer off by 5pm. I left the field by 3, made another quick stop at Gander, then got back on the road to drop off my doe.
The landowner texted me not long after I got home and let me know the geese showed up shortly after I left.... 😡
I knew that would happen.
That's ok, it won't be the last time we'll tangle.

No comments: