Thursday, November 22, 2018

Happy Thanksgiving

Just taking it easy today, got up at 4 am and got the turkey cookin', washed the dishes and fixin' to make my lunches for the week.
This week's hunting pretty much went the same way, just got everything done. Monday I went to Eagle and didn't shoot the geese that flew by, they were just a little out of range for the #2's I had loaded. So I passed on them and after the day was done I cut a bunch of grass for my buddies A-frame blind.
Tuesday went to one of Jake's spots and shot a couple ducks, I know I know I gotta start getting pics from those hunts.
Wednesday I found geese.... a lot of geese at one of my properties, I called my buddies but nobody could make it, so off to the Fort in the am for me. I got down there and set my decoys,
 brushed up my blind,

and got ready for the action.
This is the first time I have used this blind and let me tell ya it was pretty nice, it kept a lot of the wind off and it was really easy to shoot out of.
The first flock came in from behind me, by the time they made a noise they were practically on top of me. Well, since they were so close it was like trying to hit them with something the size of a golf ball. Anyway, I did drop one of them and the others flew 300 yards out into the field and set down. Well as anyone that hunts geese knows you don't want any competition in the field from live geese. So I started out to kick them off property, on the way I saw another flock land with the 4 that I just shot at. After the long walk, I went over and picked up my goose, made a sleeper decoy out of him and sat back down in my blind. 
Well, this happened soon after sun up and I was kickin' myself for not shooting my limit on the first flock all day. I was out stretching my legs when I heard a honk, I looked up and saw 5 geese headed my way. I only had enough time to make it to the side of the blind so I hunkered down and started calling. 


 I anchored the second goose with one shot, the first goose needed a couple follow up shots.
As it turns out this was the first goose limit of the year for me. I was also super happy I didn't shoot my limit on the first flock because both of these birds were banded.
 Yesterday was the last day I could hunt before the first half of the goose season ended.
Wow, what a way to end this part of the season, by the way, these birds were banded in Peawanuck which is up by Hudson Bay in Ontario. What a way to end the first stretch of the season.
Next week duck is still open and the pheasant clean up will be in full swing, so I'll try to get out for some pheasant also.
OOOOoooo my turkey's done, have a happy Thanksgiving.

No comments: