Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Everything was stacked against me

I wasn't sure where I wanted to go fishing this week, it was between Big Turkey and Max. As you all know Max is a tried and true favorite so I packed my gear trailered the boat and made the 2-hour drive to Max. I pulled out my best lures to start.... once I started fishing I noticed the water was kinda dingy. Usually, you can see clearly to 15' down and I couldn't make out the bottom in 4'. Well, my usual favorites weren't producing so I brought out the secondary line up. After they didn't manage to snag a fish I got desperate and just started looking for stuff I've caught fish on....not here just at any lake that I've fished. A little after noon the breeze picked up to a full on blow I'm not sure what the gusts were hitting but it was becoming less fun. I was having to run the trolling motor on 5 and 6 just to move around. Then I noticed what had been floating in the water the whole time. Max just had a mayfly hatch, it was the perfect quadfecta of a nonfish catching outcome. The dingy, I thought was just bad weather stirred up sediment, was actually an algae bloom, that along with the mayfly hatch and the issues the wind was causing, and let's not forget the water temp which was in the middle 80's, it's no wonder I only managed to stick and land this one fish.
 I know it sounds like alot of excuses as to why I didn't do better, but there's actual scientific data that I can produce to back up what I am saying is the real reason for this weeks inability to load the boat down with fish. This guy got CPR because he didn't make the 16" limit by mere 32nds of an inch, otherwise, I would have released him in grease.
Anyway, there's always next week I think I'm going to try Clear or no wait I haven't been to LM in a while or no I should go to James ... but then again I think I should try ..........

No comments: