Monday, January 2, 2017

The end of the beginning

Since my last post I have been able to get out for ducks 3 more times with the help of my car and Mike.
The first hunt was at the field he shot limit on when I should've been paid for the guiding service. Well he returned the favor on Wed. evening, we went there with the anticipation of the ducks swarming us like they did on the guide hunt. That however did not happen, what did happen was I shot 2 geese and got some intel on the next days hunt.
not bad for a quick pass shooting hunt
 So this was the total for Wednesday it was just a quick afternoon pass shooting hunt. After the hunt Mike found out from Hunter that the ducks were filing in to George's Pond all evening.
We had a freeze come through and lock up the pond, so Mike left early to open it. I was waiting on his call to know for sure that we were going. Once he called it was game on, getting everything together and packed into the car was pretty much the only challenge. Once I got there and we got the hole open and decoys set, it just started to happen like it was suppose to.
I had my limit with 4 drakes, Hunter had 1 left, and Mike had 2 left
Since I had to work Friday morning I had to get out of there at noonthirty. Mike and Hunter stayed and finished their limits.
Now while we were hunting here, we watched the rest of the ducks and geese in this hemisphere drop into a field that was across the road from us. After I left and they finished up Mike went and found out who owned the property and secured permission to hunt it. 
Well that hunt was to take place Sunday morning the bad news was I was working and wouldn't call in. However I was able to get off a little early and get to the field as quick as I could to give 'er one more try. We hunted until dark, Mike brought 2 drakes and a hen down and I bought home a drake and a goose.
last day duck selfie
We had alot ducks over us most of the night but they were just picking us out. So they stayed pretty high and just acted kinda skiddish and wouldn't finish.
Still a pretty good day.
 With the beginning of the New Year brings the end of the 2016 duck season.

No comments: