Thursday, January 19, 2017

I'm baaaack

After the last couple weeks of taking care of stuff and not being able to get out. I was able to get back to life as I know it.... which means HUNTING. I did my scouting Tues. morning for a hunt Wed. morning, my buddy Tom's field showed the most promise.
So time to make the phone calls to see who wants to shoot some geese. Keep in mind the friends I was calling have been off the geese as long as I have. So it was pretty easy to convince them to get ready for a quick easy shoot.
5am rolled around too early but it was time for Sean and I to pack up and get to the field. We were going to pick up Mike on the way, but he turned out to be a no show.
We got to Tom's and started to get the gear and decoys set out.
The geese I saw in the field were in early on Tues. so I was expecting the same. However as it usually happens to any "quick and easy" shoot the geese didn't want to be were we where. They were all going 3/4's of a mile away, since they weren't flying over we didn't even have any passing shots.
So we hung tough and maybe slept a little 😴, doing a little hunting with our ears 😄.
I'm not sure what time it was when the first flock came in silent, but once Sean said, (in a low voice) "geese" they were in the spread an needing to be shot. I called the shot and 2 geese fell, one for each of us. We went out got our geese, shagged our shells and got ready for the next volley. The honk came from behind us, I told Sean if they come over us we'll take 'em. They came over and we unloaded on the flock, 2 more geese fell. So with one of us having limit and the other still needing 2 geese we drew it out to the last minute, with nary another shot fired.
Oh well there's always next week.

No comments: