Thursday, December 1, 2016

Starting December with a bang

Well it was suppose to be raining Monday so after last years pheasant fiasco I decided to go and put it in the rain, since that might keep some people away.  I saw 4 pheasants and only one when I was walking....which is the one I got. The people were not as bad as last year, so that was awesome. I only flushed the one bird but since I got to bring meat home it was a good day.
My clothes are still drying
Tuesday Mike and I decided to shoot his Uncle George's pond in his field. Once again, we shot poorly but managed to end up one bird short of limit; Mike still needed one more. So we packed all the gear except the birds and decoys because I left my camera back in the truck.
 On the walk back a Drake quacked and landed on the water right next to the furthest decoy.
The Drake is on the right
 Mike said he was going to walk back for his gun to which I agreed.
You can see the truck to the right at the base of the telephone pole
On the way back the duck must have seen him and got up and started flying over towards Mike when he shot.  He hit him on the first shot waited for a decent shot on the water and then had to shoot again before going down to retrieve his prize.
last duck for Mike's limit
Really good hunt.
 After we were done with the hero pics for the day we packed up the rest of the gear and headed out.
Only to get back to the truck and Mike realized he forgot his gun back at the blind.
Mike going back for his gun.
Then this morning we went back to GP's (George's Pond) and shot a couple ducks. We didn't get limit but I'm blaming that on the cloud cover.  The wind and temp were good but I think we could've done better if it had been sunny.
When I got started cleaning my duck the first thing I noticed is it had rice breast. Since it wasn't that bad I made the decision to keep it, I've read it won't hurt me but there are few enough that if I want I could probably cut them out.
Rice breast doesn't look appetizing but won't hurt you

No comments: