Thursday, November 3, 2016

Finally something to write about

So since the last time I entered a blog entry I have been:
1. Fall Turkey hunting 4 times and did not bag a bird.
2. Waterfowl hunting 4 times and have not bagged a bird.... until this week.

Monday I went to Loon Lake and had 2 geese come in and land in the channel to my left. After at least a half hour of talking these birds in I was finally able to get a shot on them. Unfortunately only one stayed on the water the other one got up and made for a quieter resting spot.

Tuesday I scouted and called for permission for a couple fields I wanted to hunt on Wed.
After I got permission on a field that has been holding MANY ducks and geese. I called my posse and let them know I nailed down a killer field for Wednesday.
When Wednesday morning rolled around it found me and my compadres hard at work stubbling blinds and putting out a killer spread of decoys.  But there was also bad news
The bad news was:
1. The roost pond was less than 100 yards behind us.
2. There was little to no wind.
3. The ducks and geese would have to come from behind (over) us to get downwind into the spread.
4. When the clouds cleared we were looking straight into the sun.
5. Once again we all shot poorly.

Despite all that was bad about this shoot, we still managed to anchor down a 3 man limit of geese and a couple ducks.
And the best news is I just drove by this field today and the ducks and geese are still using it..... can't wait for Monday.

No comments: