Monday, December 7, 2015

Last week was pretty dry

Well I've been putting off writing this entry because it's so very depressing.
Monday Sean and I went to Huntington for the pheasant clean up. I have never seen so much orange on property that I did on Monday. That being said they mostly had dogs and were all working the gravy cover leaving us to push the bare bones of the property. You know.... the kinda crap that while your pushing it your singin' to yourself... "and they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles and they ran through the bushes where the rabbits wouldn't go." It's a song you can google it.
Anyway, we made it to midday and only kicked out 2 bunnies when my com padre yells out, "I see one" I yell back, "Shoot it". The only thing I didn't realize was he was only 3 feet from this poor hen. Enough said or should I finish???? Ok, he pureed that pheasant with the only recognizable part being the part that should've been gone.... the head.
Tues. hit the water for ducks. Zippo
Wednesday I got permission for a field that had at least a hundred ducks dumping in it around and after shooting time. Well we set up in the wee hours of the morning and we were greeted with a fog that hung on until at least after noon. Strike one. When it finally cleared up we had some (2) ducks fly by and a flock of geese land a couple hundred yards from us in the same field that we Sean had to go scare away. Strike two. And finally into the magic half hour before sunset..... nothing. We did get a great show of ducks while we were picking up though. Strike three. They came in right on time like they had watches and knew what time we had to be done.

No comments: