Thursday, December 10, 2015

warm--- non-eventful--- sad week

I had a pretty rough week this week....
For starters it was really warm only going into the upper 30's lower 40's at night. Went out and sat for some deer on Tues. evening. Didn't see any deer but did enjoy watching all the squirrels. Went out for some duck hunting this morning and didn't see a duck.
The caper for the week was I finally got a freezer full of fur, so I packed all the bodies in the car and headed to the furrier, only to arrive and see a "Closed- No Russian market" sign on the door. Now, this guy has been in business since he was a teenager and he's around my age now. So I gave him a call to find out what happened. Apparently he had to close because the Russians aren't buying furs; he still has all the pelts from last year and most of the pelts from 2 years ago. He also said this will probably be the way it is for the next couple of years to five years.
So today I pulled all my traps for the year and will not reset next week. I did find a buyer in the area but will probably only make pennies on the dollar for the coon and muskrat I have. It's really sad and has me pretty tore up over the whole deal, even though there's nothing I can do about it.
This was going to be the year my trapping broke even, even though I invested another $200 in it. Now I have all my traps pulled and drying in the shed waiting to be packed away until the fur market makes a come back.... if it ever does.

No comments: