Thursday, December 31, 2015

Finally getting some weather

Last week we saw a little change in the mild winter.... RAIN or threats of rain all week. The warm weather continued but we did get out and bring the goose count down by 5.
This is the third time we have hit this field, and the first time we took anything off of it. It was an all day set but we finally were able to put some meat on the ground. By the way for those of you math wizards out there, we got 1 more after the pick was taken.
Next was my Christmas goose, on Christmas of course.
That pretty much summed it up for last week.
This week it rained all day Mon. and I was feeling a little sick so I stayed home. Tues I hit the water for geese with no luck, as a matter of fact I only saw one goose all day.
Wednesday I went to a property that has been holding a dozen geese or so and set up in the wee hours hoping to get 1 or 2. Well the morning flight came and went rather uneventfully so now I was in it for the long haul. As the day went on I had walked to the treeline to shall I say, "relieve myself" and stretch my legs. After the business was done I heard some geese, I looked out at my spread and in came 2 honkers that landed 5 feet from my layout blind. So after some deliberation I decided to make a slow walk to the geese and see how close I could get before they flew.
Apparently I could get close enough to put both of them in the dirt. So now all I have left is one goose so I was more determined to stay and try for the third. I put the 2 geese in the woods where I had just been and since I hadn't prepared to stay all day, I had to call Sarah to find out when sunset was. After she told me, I started walking out to get some more sleep ready for some geese. I noticed a flock of 6 geese starting out onto the far side of the field. I was close enough to get to my blind and get it closed before the geese were within the kill ring. I popped up and dropped my last goose for my limit of 3. I didn't have to call, I didn't get any video and everything was muddy, I didn't even get another band, but I did get my geese.
From zero to Hero in 17 minutes.
 Thursday I went and sat in a tree for 5 hours only to watch the squirrels, and woodpeckers. The good news is the October weather has finally arrived.  : )

No comments: