Thursday, July 9, 2015

Got a little Crooked yesterday

Since it has been a couple years, I thought it would be a good time to go up to Crooked Lake until the wave makers came out then scoot down to Silver for the remainder of the day. Well I got to Crooked and it looked like it was going to be a great day. The weather was cool and overcast which is what I was hoping for since Crooked has plenty of walleye. Long story short I caught walleye,smallmouth, and largemouth. I was even able to keep a walleye, most of them were short.

 yeah he wasn't huge but he went over the 14" mark so he came home with me.



You can see the preferred lure of the day was a small clown flicker shad, almost all of the walleye caught were caught on it.

Around noon the speed demons started coming out to run the water, that was my cue to go to Silver. So I motored back to the launch packed up and ran the 20 minutes to Silver.
The launch at Silver is the South side of the lake through a trailer park. Now to my understanding this is a DNR owned launch, at least that's what it says in the fishing regs. To my disbelief there was a locked gate across the road to get to the launch, that read ,"residents of the trailer park only". Now I not only fish this lake but I have duck hunted it in the past and that was what I was scouting it for. Well I backed up and saw a guy walking to his trailer so I inquired about the gate. He said it has always been private and they stopped letting everyone in because it was getting to rowdy. So I thanked him made my way to the main road found a place to pull over and call the DNR. Only to find out the guy was right, it is now a private lake, and the only way on is to know someone on the lake. So now I'm out a good fishing spot, a decent duck spot and I lost a couple hours in my fishing day.
Not wanting to go home quite yet I ran back over to Crooked. By the time I got there it had started to rain a little and thankfully that got some wave makers off the water. I spent the rest of my day there and had a relatively good afternoon.

No comments: