Monday, December 29, 2014

Duck season is over

Well duck season ended last week, I hunted Tues. and Thurs. for waterfowl and only got 1 Mallard on Thursday.
 I also hunted for coon on Wed. night and shot 2, unfortunately I didn't bring either one home. I still can't believe I didn't get either coon. Here's what happened... I was walking to one of my calling spots and I saw 3 sets of eyes in a tree. So being the opportunist I am I started inching closer and setting up for the shot. When I was close enough I shot and dropped the first coon, after the shot the other coons started scurrying for the ground. I lined up the second coon and shot, both coons dropped. So I started walking over to pick up my prizes only to find blood trails. Here's the bad part, it had started raining and hour before so by the time I shot the ground was already wet. So I was able to pick up the blood trail of only one of the coons. I followed it for about a fifty yards then I lost it, the rain had washed it away. There wasn't anything else I could do but move on, I don't like loosing game but it's not like I didn't try to recover them.
Anyway I sat on the water all day on Christmas day and finally had a pair of mallards come sailing in. When I shot, the drake and hen had aligned perfectly and both went down. The hen went down and straight underwater so I waited for her to come up to put her down again. When she came up she didn't just sit on the water, she took off out of the water like a rocket. I shot 2 more times trying to drop her but luck was on her side and she got away. The drake on the other hand got to ride in my truck.

No comments: