Tuesday, December 16, 2014

couple week check in

Well it seems I haven't been on here for a couple weeks so let's start with the first week of December. As I go back over my pics I only found one, that tells me it was a slow week. Oh, wait a minute I was sick that week, I took a couple days off to recoup. Now it makes a little more sense that I only have one pic to show for that week. I am still hunting the water and have yet to hit the fields for ducks and geese.
I had a chance to hit one of my fields for ducks but passed it up for some stupid reason.
Lesson learned: When there's fowl in the field today better shoot it tomorrow because you don't know how long they'll stay.
OK back to the water hunt I dropped 3 ducks out of one flock. I was able to secure a goose out of a flock that landed out of range and then swam in.
Last week I had Monday off due to weather, so I hung out and got some traps ready.
On Tuesday I goose hunted in the morning with no luck. Tuesday night (11 pm) into Wednesday morning I coon hunted, then in the morning (8 am) I switched clothes into all orange and deer hunted. Tuesday night I only saw 2 sets of eyes one of which came home with me. Then Wednesday around 9:15 am when I had just started my day of walking up deer I jumped a little doe, that I promptly dispatched. I gotta tell ya she looked bigger when she was running. So even though I was disappointed with her size, we'll have some deer meat this year. I'm hoping to get out to my private property to try for another deer, since I took this one off public I can't take any more off public property.
Then on Thursday I went down to Huntington for the pheasant clean up. I had walked two and a half fields without seening a bird. In my head I was already strategising  what my next move would be. This was the lateset I have tried for pheasant, usually I go down the week right after Thanksgiving. So with the thought of most of the pheasants gone already I was going down the list of places to hit next.
When all of a sudden in the very nest corn row sat a pheasant. Bang.... then another pheasant got up an flew from my right to my left, Bang.. limit within 1 minute.
This week so far has been a bust, I went goose hunting yesterday with no luck. Checked my traps- no luck, I'm going out goose hunting today and it's raining right now. And as we all know I hate hunting in the rain I'm hoping that if I persevere I will be rewarded with a goose or two but who knows. I might just be going out to get myself and my gear soaked.
Keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments: