Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Waaawho

Long story short my place of employment just paid out all vacations that were suppose to roll over if not used. So since we were given 0 notice my boss allowed us to get some days off before the end of the year, since we have already been paid for them. Well I was able to get about 12 days off when it's all said and done. That makes me happy and very sad, I was saving 40 hours to either go to Arkansas on a duck hunt this year or a Spring Turkey hunt next year.
Neither of which will now happen.
Anyway, I now can spend spend some much needed time afield.
Tuesday I spent scouting and finishing little projects around the house.
Since there are no geese using any of my fields I decided to go pheasant hunting today. I got to Huntington a little after 8 am and started in my usual spot. After an hour of working I was pushing a corn field and finally kicked up a hen, she took flight and my initial shot was actually faster than usual. She was still over the corn when I let the second shot go. I knew I hit her and from her trajectory and it looked like she cleared the corn, so off I went at a jog to try and catch up to her. When I got to the edge of the corn, she was nowhere to be seen. So I did my best bird dog impression and looked for tracks. I found her track and started following her down the edge of the corn, then she cut into the corn. The spot she went in at was pretty grassy and tangled, so I slowed down and started kicking the grass. I actually kicked this bird and she didn't move until I started to kick out the grass more. Finally she popped out and I was able to jump on her, that's why she doesn't have any tail feathers left.
On the next corn field nothing but the next one I pushed had some tracks in it. So I started following them, now the interesting part is I didn't know if I was going the right way or how old the track was. Well I'm here to tell ya I was going the right way and the track was really fresh. I followed the track to the end of the corn and through some crap along side the corn. When low and behold there was a pheasant hiding in some crap on top of the snow less than 3 feet from me. After a couple seconds of looking at him to figure out it he was still alive and where his head was. I decapitated him with a single shot with the most awesome from the hip shot I have ever made. Actually it is the only from the hip shot I have ever attempted, I got really lucky I didn't put one pellet in the meat.
So after less than 2 hours I had my limit, a picture and was heading back home. Not bad for a couple hours with no dog on late season "spooky" birds.

No comments: