Thursday, December 12, 2013

Lucky or Good??

Muzzleloader began on the 7th of Dec and the first day that I could get out is Tues. I went to Tom's old property, that's the property I have been hunting for the past 15 or so years. I really didn't expect to see anything but I had to try.
I got there before sunrise with a chair and an idea of where I wanted to sit. I sat until I got too cold to sit and all I got for my efforts was wind burnt and chilled to the bone.
Wednesday I had planned on going to Huntington to try and walk one up. I was able to jump a rabbit and an owl before the snowstorm hit. Once it did vis went to nearly nothing and it was already 1pm so I decided to drive home. On the way I thought I should stop at Tom's and sit until I get cold, then call it a day.
When I got there the sun was shining, and the wind was blowing, I only had a couple layers on so I knew I wouldn't be staying long. Now if you have been following this blog, the property I am on is the same one the new owner has taken all the fence-rows off of. So I am sitting on the corner of the only woods that Tom still owns, bordering his old property which is now a huge field.
I had probably been there for an hour and a half when to my amazement I saw a deer come out of the woods at about 150-200yards (Google earth) away and decided to cross the field. She was just getting up speed when I "bayed" at her and she stopped, and looked at me. I put the crosshairs about a foot above her back and let one fly. I knew I hit her and she started across the field stopping to lay down every 20 yards. So I reloaded and waited for her to crest a small high spot in the field. When she did I started an intercept course for her, when I got close enough I peeked over the hill where I thought she would be. I didn't see her right away but then I looked back to my right 20 yards and I saw her head pop up with those big ears and look right at me. I waited for her to get up and when she did she turned broadside to me. I raised my gun and again put the crosshairs about a foot above her back and let another one fly. This time she jumped into the air at least 6 feet and went straight down. I knew then I would be tagging a deer this year.
Now I'm on the hunt for more geese, and ducks are back in the week of Christmas.
Meeerry Christmas.

No comments: