Thursday, December 5, 2013

Free-Range Chicken

Tuesday it was suppose to be warm and rainy, the warm happened but not the rainy. I thought it would be fun to try some pheasant hunting. It's been kind of a tradition for me, to go the first week of clean up. Last year I did a little better, but I still did pretty good this year for not having a dog. I saw 5 birds including this one and out of those birds I should have gotten one more. Oh well at least I'll be eating pheasant instead of empty shell soup. If you have the need for empty shell soup I have a great recipe.
Wednesday I got up on time but didn't arrive at the lake until late. I was motoring out at shooting time and when I got to my spot someone else was already set up. Now to say he was set up is only a polite way to let you know someone else was there already. His "set up" consisted of 6 goose,6 divers, a couple mallards and a mojo.
I motored out to an island that I have never hunted from, but had seen and heard of people hunting from it. It was a little deeper than what I like but I proceeded to put out my duck and goose spread which consists of 15 mag goose and 42 duck decoys. The reason I mention it is because when there's competition it's a sheer numbers game, and I was on the winning side. I heard the other shoot only 2 times unfortunately I couldn't see him from where I was, so I don't know if he even got a bird.
I tried and tried to get my boat set so it didn't stick out like a sore thumb, finally I settled on just dragging it up on the island.
With my boat so stealthily hidden I was able to knock some ducks down.
3 mallards and a hen redhead, (the second one I've gotten this year.)
Thursday I got up and went hunting and then came home.

No comments: