Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Still Shootin' Geese

Last week I went back to the field that I shot the 3 geese at and pass shot it right before sunset. I only hunted for a couple hours and had a flock come by to roost for the night. I was able to get one goose out of the flock before they were out of range and time had expired. I didn't think that was too bad considering I was only out there for a couple hours with no decoys.
That hunt was on Wed and on Thurs I went West to a property I just got this year. Well when we got to the property Weed realized he had forgotten his blind so I sent him back to my house for my x-tra blind. As I was getting the gear unloaded, the house lights came on. So I went over to talk to the Joe the owner of the property. When I got closer I noticed it was the misses and not Joe at the door. She related to me that Joe had just been diagnosed with lung cancer and was not expected to last the week, and they had all kinds of family coming over to say their final goodbye's.
After hearing what was going on I told her that I won't stay and clog up their drive. She never even asked me not to hunt, as a matter of fact she kept apologizing, they are really nice people. I just found out yesterday that Joe passed on Sat.
So after moving on from the spot I was going to hunt, I moved down the road to another property I have. Tom's property has always been good to me, however with the wind coming in the way it was I knew I had alot of work ahead of me. I called Weed to let him know what was going on, and then started hauling gear the couple hundred yards to the end of the field. Well after seeing 12 geese in the morning, a couple doubles and a flock of 6, nothing flew until right before sunset.
So as you can see the action was fast and furious for a couple minutes. I got home around 9:30 that evening, threw my gear in the house, cleaned my goose and got to bed so I could get some sleep for work the next morning.


It would be sooo much easier on me if I didn't have to go to work the next morning.

No comments: