Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Late Goose is over

Late goose ended last week on the 15th of Feb. Today I was going to go coyote hunting but the weather had other plans for me. So I thought I would catch up on my house work i.e.- put my decoys up for the year, and catch up on my blog.
Last week proved to be yet another tough hunt, I hunted the 14th and 15th. On the 14th I really had no good spot picked out to field hunt, and I didn't have any birds anyway, so I did some pass shooting. I was only out for a couple hours and got one goose. The bad thing was the goose landed on the snow covered ice. I had already thought ahead for this problem, and brought my fishing pole/ goose getter with me. What I didn't plan on was the weight of the goose and the drag across the snow breaking my line. So after a trip to the house to get a pole strung with 30# test braid I laid hands on my prize.
The lucky thing was that I didn't hook my goose with the second line. I actually hooked the weight from my first gang rig. Lucky I wasn't there all nite.
The last day of season I went to a field that I hadn't hunted all year. I checked it every week and the geese just never showed up so I never tried it.
With nothing to lose I got set up in the pre dawn hours, and stayed til' just after noon. That's when I started picking up my gear. I got home ate and hung out until 3:30, then I went to my pass shooting spot and waited.
Fortunately it didn't take that long for me to ground the first goose of the day, and not long after that I grounded my last goose of the year.
Even with all the warm weather and getting very few "new" geese I still topped my numbers from last year. I haven't totaled my numbers up yet but that isn't too far in the future. Only a couple weeks until the end of my coyote and fox season and Turkey in April, fishing is just around the corner.

No comments: