Monday, November 9, 2009

Bonus hunt

Well Thursday I got out to my local lake and was able to redeem my prior days shooting. Before the missing started I was in great shape with a one shot one kill mallard. Then I reverted back to my missing ways on another mallard that was flying by. I think I'll say the tree limb was in my way, even if it wasn't I pruned it back a bit anyway. Got this hunt in before work so had to leave early, around noon.

For whatever reason grebe's love my spread and boat this year.





Yesterday I got an invite to shoot some geese off my buddy Weeds pond. So I got there in the wee hours, waited in town (in the car on main street) for Weed and Ron to wake up and roll in. After a phone call and 25 mins, headlights were in my rearview. So were off, we get to the property and spend some time figuring how to set up. Now the work starts, get all the gear across the fence and to the small hill. Set out the dekes, put out the blinds, get set and snooze. The fog was pretty thick in the morning and into the early afternoon. Had a flock come in early they landed and stayed on the other side of the pond, until they flew out. Then we had a couple smaller flocks cycle in and out. We took a couple birds here and there. The whole time Weed was making excuses why they weren't dropping in blindly. His favorite was "they see the blinds", we should get rid of the blinds. Anyway had a couple flocks work great except for the fact they kept comin' in over my left shoulder.

After we filled out,we picked up the gear, turned and burned back home, cleaned the birds and caught a nap before going to work.

I want to thank Weed again for the invite, and Ron for bringing the dekes. I was there for the luck of it (I saw the birds) and just kept a general watch of the area. This was the maiden voyage for my layout blind and it was pretty cool. I think I still like boat hunting better, but you can definately whack em' in layouts. It's also more comfortable to sleep in a layout....... isn't it Ron.






Taught our retriever to wave.















And watch for geese















And make decoys








Ron and Weed
End result: 6 geese and a bonus mallard. Thanks guys

No comments: