Thursday, October 3, 2024

Answer from last week and what happened this week

 The answer to the question last week was...... Preying Mantis.
Corey texted me first then Reggie (from work) was the second to know. 
I was heading to work on Friday and this little guy wanted to go. Since I knew it would be too much red tape to have him work the day, I decided to give him the day off. I stopped on the roadside, helped him off the car and put him in some grass.
Good luck little buddy.

Monday was not deer opener so I did some bank fishing.....
And got my deer gear together and shot my X-bow...
Ready πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘
Tuesday was the opener, as per the opener and first couple weeks of season..... I was late to the stand.
I was just getting into my stand at about sunrise and had a deer blow 20 yards from me. I got to see him run away as I was getting situated. Counting him I saw 4 deer on the opener, him, a 7pt yearling a doe and a fawn. I could've shot the 7 but passed on him..... Why?  young deer and opener.
After he rubbed that tree he followed his doe and I thought they were gone.... 5 min later I heard something behind me. I turned to see the buck walking down the trail I walk in on and was within 15 yards. He looked right at me... and moved off to my left and stared at me for another 5 min before walking back up the way he came and disappeared in the brush.
Pretty good opener...
Day 2 found again late to the stand, I had to get different clothes on since it was 20 degrees cooler than the previous morning. All in all I had another stellar day. I saw 9 deer, 2 of which were small bucks, one Michigan 11 point (spike) and a six that I had inside of 20 yards. That little guy strolled up my hill, went in behind me and bedded down 20 yards in the brush.
He had me pinned down for 3- 3 1/2 hours, which put me past my leave time but I didn't want to just bust him out. So, I carefully and quietly gathered my gear and eased down the ladder and crept up the trail. I did end up wind bumping him but he didn't blow so I don't think he was too freaked out.

I knew I wasn't going to be able to do anything today (dentist appt) and getting ready for the week so I did a little bank fishing last night. The conditions were good but the wind was bad. The West wind had pushed and was continuing to push all the weeds from across the lake into shore, which made this fishing trip a cursing event..... I was able to catch one.
The one thing I've noticed about the bank fish.... they are all about the same size. 
Aah that's OK they were fun to catch.

The temps stay low for next week so maybe I'll be able to punch my tag. πŸ‘

No comments: